More than 75,000 computer systems at nearly 2,500 companies in the United States and around the world have been hacked in what appears to be one of the largest and most sophisticated attacks by cyber criminals discovered to date, according to a northern Virginia security firm.
The attack, which began in late 2008 and was discovered last month, targeted proprietary corporate data, e-mails, credit-card transaction data and login credentials at companies in the health and technology industries in 196 countries, according to Herndon-based NetWitness.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Almost 2,500 firms breached in ongoing hack attack (go.theregister.com)
- Over 75,000 systems compromised in cyberattack (computerworld.com)
- Cyberattacks Hit Oil Industry: Was China Involved? (abcnews.go.com)
- Mozilla patches critical Firefox bugs (macworld.com)
- Firefox blocks and backtracks on ‘insecure’ MS add-ons (theregister.co.uk)